Monday, February 27, 2017

Awww...Gucci Remembered

Gucci chillin' on my bed
I know this is a dog blog, but today I'm feeling . . . catty. You see, today is the anniversary of Gucci's death. I can't believe I've been catless for a whole year. I miss that stubborn little cat. As I stated a year ago, Hubby had asked for a no replacement policy on cats about a decade before Gucci died. He said his allergies were getting worse. I agreed. When we got married Hubby was the cat person so it didn't bother me too much. However, now I realize there is a cat-shaped hole in my heart and it makes me sad.

Funny thing though, about six months ago a friend was in the car with me and Hubby. Hubby was talking about various things and said that he knows one day I'm going to find a special cat at work and he's just going to have to deal with it. I was stunned, but said nothing. Friend and I had lunch a few days later. I asked "Did you hear what I heard?" She said "Yeah girl, you're getting a cat!" Well, that cat hasn't come along yet. We're still looking. But in my feline-free year I've realized a few things about cats and dogs.

Cartoonist Gary Larsen obviously has pets!
  • Dogs are great for your self-esteem. They're like three year olds -- easily amused, always open to having fun, very trusting. Dogs think that their people are awesome, despite what the rest of the world says. Seriously, I've seen way too many jerks with loyal, loving dogs.
  • Cats, on the other hand, keep you humble. They're like teenagers. They can be affectionate, but things have to be done on their terms. They have a weird sense of humor. And they're skeptical about everything. I can't tell you how many times I've said "It's cat food, I swear. Look there's a cat right here on the bag. Just eat it!"
There's some funny sayings out there about the difference between cats and dogs:

Dogs come when you call; cats take a message and get back to you later.

Dogs have owners; cats have staff.
The funniest thing I've ever seen on YouTube is Cat Friend vs Dog Friend. I laugh every time I watch it! Have you seen it?


I'd like to leave with one more picture of Gucci. She and Roxy had a love/hate thing for years. Roxy would sneak up on Gucci and lift up her back end as she walked by. Gucci would yowl and I swear Roxy was laughing. In retaliation, Gucci would sneak up on Roxy when she was sleeping and box her face -- no claws, but 3 or 4 good hits to the muzzle. You could hear the impact. Gucci would wait until Roxy was awake, stare her in the face and then throw her tail up and march off. "Bitch!" was definitely implied. The girls mellowed in their old age. About 6 months before Gucci passed I caught the two of them napping together.

This truce just warmed my heart
How's that for an Awww...picture? It's Awww...Monday. This is a hop where various bloggers try to brighten your Monday with Awww-inspiring posts. Click around below and see what others are sharing today. A big thanks to Sandee over at Comedy Plus for hosting this hop. -- K


No comments:

Post a Comment