Friday, May 27, 2016

Hello Again!

Oh My! It's been almost two weeks since my last post. Bet you thought I forgot all about you, hunh? I didn't! I've been so busy with dogs, dog club stuff, nosework and work stuff that I haven't had the time to sit down and type. I think things are slowing a bit, so I'm going to try to get details out over the next week (or two). But here's the Reader's Digest version:

DOGS:

Ever since the April Shows, I can't get the idea of Obedience out of my head. I saw the beginner novice trials and something in my said "You can do that." Was that my meds talking? Am I having delusions of grandeur? I don't know. All I know is that I. Want. It. Now I'm on a mission! I can't find a beginner class, so I've taken to books and the internet. I've read several books (I will share reviews later) and have signed up for an online class with Fenzi Dog Sports Academy. The class starts on June 1st. I will definitely tell you all about it!

DOG CLUB STUFF:

My first year as president of the German Shepherd Dog Club of North Florida is coming to an end. Whew, it's been quite the year! And it's a lot more work than I had imagined. I agreed to do one more year (I've got a few more ideas), but then I'm stepping down. I want to get another show puppy and try again with conformation.

The Club has had some great outings this year, but we've decided to stop for the summer. It just gets too hot for the dogs. (And me!) Our last dog-friendly event was a free intro to nosework workshop. We had nine dogs come and try it out. It was a lot of fun. Pictures and details later!

For the most part, club members are tired. We're still reeling from our April shows -- that was a lot of work! -- and our bylaws stipulate a bunch of things around election time. As president, I have to make sure committees are formed and audits done. It's tedious. To make things a little more challenging, our regular meeting place closed down (RIP Village Inn) and we're trying out new places. Wish us luck.

NOSEWORK:

My other dog club, K-9 Obedience Club of Jacksonville, held their first nosework trial this month. I couldn't compete, but I did volunteer. It was great! I'll tell you all about it soon. Promise.

Jedi and I are still working hard on our nosework training. We're now doing exterior and vehicle searches. It's a whole other game for Jedi. You'd think he had never sniffed before. Trainer says not to be frustrated -- but I am.

NOSEWORK NEWS: There are back-to-back UKC trials in October -- one in Ocala and one in St. Petersburg. I want Jedi and me to be ready. If done right, we could come back with a title. I'm also trying to make it an all girls road trip. Sound fun to you?

WORK STUFF:

The weather is warming and the school year is ending. The beaches are packed and there are often dogs off leash accompanying beach goers. I spend waaay too much time on the beach. We're in the middle of kitten season right now. (I'm fostering a mom and three kittens as we speak.) Bites also increase this time of year, as well as dogs locked in hot cars. I've been a busy little ACO.

Additional challenges this year include the construction of a new police building (finally!) and yet another partner change. New Girl took a job at a neighboring city for more money. Of course, so did the three partners before her. You'd think the City would get a clue . . . (Trust me, there will be a rant about this later. get your popcorn ready!)

Well, that's it in a nutshell. I'll elaborate on things later. Thanks for stopping by! -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment