Monday, March 30, 2015

Take A Walk

Today, March 30th, is Take a Walk in the Park Day. Yeah, really! We at Kelley's Dog Blog (OK, just me and Jedi) think you should take your dog with you. And to make it even more enjoyable, we suggest you:

 Try a new park. We have over 250 parks here in Jacksonville, so why do Jedi and I visit the same six all the time? I don't know. We'll have to change that. Jedi always enjoys going someplace new. How about you? Do you have a favorite place? Are there other parks you'd like to try?

Take the time to wander. One of our favorite places to visit is the Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens. We'll go mid-week and be the only ones on the trail. Jedi will sniff (and pee) while I enjoy the quiet of the woods. There's something about trees that just make me happy. I always exit the Arboretum feeling refreshed.

Be a good steward. You know the saying: "Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories." That means packing out your trash and poop bags. However, taking a few pictures won't hurt! I love looking at pictures of past adventures. They always make me smile.

Get up early. I am not a morning person and would sleep 'til noon if I could. Unfortunately, life doesn't care. Neither does Jedi. Every now and then I'm forced to be up stupid early for something. When that happens, I take Jedi to the beach to watch the sun rise. What a way to start the day!

Invite a friend. Sometimes Jedi and I will meet a friend and her dog at the park. We'll walk the two mile path and catch up. Not only is it good exercise, it's also good for the psyche. I love my husband, but sometimes I just need "girl talk." Hubby is thrilled that he doesn't need to listen to my ranting about office drama.

Walk for charity. I've loaded WoofTrax onto my smart phone. Every time Jedi and I go for a walk, we earn money for Friends of Jacksonville Animals. Thinking about the dogs in the shelter is often the push I need to make a second lap.

Have I convinced you yet? Good! Now stop reading, grab the leash and head to the park. You (and your dog!) will thank me later.

Hopefully a long walk in the park will make you say "Awww, that was nice." Well guess what? It's Awww...Monday! Start your week with a smile. Click around below and see other things that'll make you say "awww." -- K


No comments:

Post a Comment