Sunday, March 23, 2014

And The Winner Is . . .

WOW! Kelley's Dog Blog (US!) is the latest recipient of the Sunshine Award. This is an award given by bloggers to other bloggers that they admire. I'm honored that Britt over at Mit Hundeliv felt us worthy, especially since I enjoy her blog so much. I get a kick out of reading the adventures of Laika, a beautiful GSD in Denmark. It's fun to compare the lives of Laika and Jedi. Surprisingly, there are more similarities than differences. (P.S. Hit the translate button to read the blog in English, though the pictures do such a great job telling the story that translation is often unnecessary.)

  The recipients of this award are expected to do three things:
  1. Publicly thank the nominator
  2. Share ten things about themselves, and
  3. Nominate ten other blogs
So . . .

Task Number 1

Thanks again Britt for thinking so highly of us!


Task Number 2
  1. I'm left-handed.
  2. My first dog, Eli, was named after a Three Dog Night song.
  3. I fell in love with German shepherds watching Run, Joe, Run at the age of 6. (Go ahead, do the math.) 
  4. Hubby and I have been married 25 years. I can't believe that man has put up with me for a quarter century!
  5. I lived in Japan for three years.
  6. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.
  7. I've wanted to show dogs since I was 9(ish) but didn't get my first AKC papered dog until 35 years later. I got in the ring for the first time last September. It's harder than it looks.
  8. love dark chocolate. 
  9. I'm a huge Star Wars fan. (Being that I named my dog Jedi Mind Trick, you probably figured that one out on your own.)
  10. I love a good pun (and several bad ones). 

Task Number 3

Dog Mammas: Biddy and Tristan are not your stereotypical show dogs. They run, play, hunt, train and amuse. It's always fun to see what's coming up next! This blog gives me hope. I've just entered the world of dog showing. I'm clumsy and clueless, old and out of shape -- yet I keep moving forward, sharing my mistakes along the way. Kathryn is also an owner/handler, and further along on a similar journey. She has shared countless tips and encouraging words with me over the past 6 months.

Doggerel: The first time I visited this blog was because of a beautiful Wordless Wednesday picture of a German shepherd -- I'm not going to lie! But I continue to visit the blog because of the content -- it's fresh, honest and well written. Want to feel inadequate? Check out the reading list.

The Five Dog Blog: Living Life Simply Messy: First of all, how can you NOT like the title? Erin is a dog trainer with a full house. She shares tips on everything from training for the CGC (Canine Good Citizen) to cleaning leather collars. And she doesn't stress over dirty laundry and dust bunnies.

Go Pet Friendly: I was reading this blog before I even thought about blogs (or blogging). This blog follows a couple and their dogs as they travel North America in a Winnebago. They visit pet friendly places and share their experiences. Forget #6 above -- this is what I want to do when I grow up! OH! I forgot to mention the best part of the site: you can search pet-friendly hotels, campgrounds, restaurants, parks and more by city or category.

Hiking with Fido: This blog makes me a little homesick. It follows the adventures of Jake the Pit Bull as he hikes Southern California (and beyond). The author posts beautiful pictures as well as tips on everything from hiking safety to everyday training.

Keep the Tail Wagging: This is probably the biggest, most active blog I follow. I don't read every post (stupid life cuts into my blog time, dammit) but I pick up something every time I do. Kimberly and I don't agree on every issue, but she's always open to hearing a different point of view while articulating her position.

Kol's Notes: This blog is my guilty pleasure. It's a fun, full of recipes, DIY projects, product reviews and giveaways. It's well written with great pictures and snarky Canadian humor. Unfortunately, Jodi tends to inspire delusions of grandeur, as in "Hey, maybe I can be crafty after all!" The answer is no, but it's fun to pretend.

Oz the Terrier: Here is another fun-loving, Florida pup. Oz's adventures make me want to do more with my dogs. Seriously, we've got the tent and all the accessories, why don't we camp anymore?

Rhymes with Safari: This is another GSD blog that is more than just pretty pictures. (But don't poo poo pretty pictures!) The author, Kari, discusses dog training and behavior. Make sure to check out her book Bark and Lunge, "a truthful, sometimes painful, always hopeful account of life with a dog who has anxiety and reactivity issues."

Something Wagging This Way Comes: I subscribe to this blog and look forward to seeing it in my inbox every morning. It's a fun, eclectic, often tongue-in-cheek collection of dog-related thoughts and tips.


Well, that's ten. I'm sure as soon that as I hit "publish" I'm going to think of ten more! I hope you take the time to visit the blogs above to see why I love them so much. If I've missed your favorite, please share! -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment