Monday, December 2, 2013

Chariots of Fur

Are you sitting down? Jedi and I are training for a 5K. Seriously. Overweight, out of shape me and the clueless canine are going to participate in the 2014 Chariots of Fur 5K Beach Run. The event is February 8 and the proceeds benefit St. Francis Animal Hospital, a local clinic that provides affordable veterinary care "for all owned pets, regardless of the owner's ability to pay." In the course of my job, I've referred many pet-owners-in-need to the clinic. I admire the clinic's mission and I think it would be nice to support it's fund-raising efforts.

So I know what you're thinking: "Um, Sweetie, do you know how far 5K is?" and "Have you looked in the mirror lately? You're old. And round." Don't worry. I've got a plan!
  • First of all, we're walking it. My cool new app says that we average 18 minutes a mile. If we can keep up that rate we'll do it under an hour -- but we're shooting for 45 minutes.
  • 5K is 3.1 miles. The walking path at Ed Austin Park (one of our favorite places) is 1.75 miles. If we can walk around it twice without dying then we're good to go!
  • I joined Pets Move, an on-line community dedicated to helping people and their pets get/stay healthy and fit while having fun together. I'm picking up tips and recording our daily activity. We earn "paw points" for our efforts, and paw points can earn us prizes. We like prizes!
So see, I'm not as crazy as you thought. Want to join us? There's still plenty of time to prepare. If not, how about coming out to cheer us on? -- K

P.S. This is a blog hop. Take a look around and see how other dogs are getting their exercise!


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment