Friday, November 8, 2013

Mapping My Walk with a FREE app

Today's hike
One of my favorite places to walk Jedi is the Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens. It's a beautiful spot with trees, flowers, a stream and no people. Seriously, we may run into another person every third trip. There are multiple trails that meander up and down a couple hills. It's such a relaxing walk that I often don't realize how far we've traveled. I usually feel it in my legs the next day.

I'm really excited about today's walk because of a free app I downloaded onto my phone. Map My Walk connects to the GPS in my smart phone and keeps track of all kinds of info. For example: today I walked 2.43 miles in 1 hour, 11 minutes. The webpage for today's walk breaks down my pace and even shows the elevation. I am so stoked! I can't wait to visit the Arboretum again. There are so many other trails to explore.

And speaking of hiking with your dog, check out one of my favorite blogs: Hiking With Fido. I stumbled upon it during a blog hop. This blog is based on a Meet Up group in my hometown. They get together with their dogs and explore Southern California. The pictures are beautiful and sometimes make me a little homesick. If we weren't 3000 miles away, Jedi and I would be joining them.

Anyway, I'm trying to increase the amount of exercise Jedi and I are getting. I hope this new app will help encourage me to walk more. (Jedi doesn't need encouragement.) What do you think? Have any suggestions as to where we should go next? -- K







No comments:

Post a Comment