Thursday, October 3, 2013

Happy Birthday Jedi!

One year ago today I was up to my ears in affidavits and police reports, working on the worst dangerous dog case my little town has ever seen. My brand new (and now former) partner looked like a deer in the headlights, wondering what she had gotten herself into. Just before lunch I received a voicemail from Breeder (now Dear Friend Breeder) saying that Zasha just gave birth to a boy. A couple hours later there was second voicemail -- another boy! I was excited because I wanted a male and I was second (maybe third) in line to pick. All in all there were six males and one female. It was another month before I could finally see them, and yet another month before I discovered that I was able to bring home the puppy of my choice, Mr. Blue! It's been an eventful year and I wanted to celebrate it. (BTW, Jedi doesn't care about birthdays. This is all me.)

I started with a party hat. I love hats, and think dogs wearing hats are hilarious! Unfortunately, Jedi's feelings towards hats haven't changed since Easter. After 20 pictures and some creative editing this is all you get. Sorry.

We also did presents. Petsmart sent Jedi a Happy Birthday coupon for a free toy/treat (with additional purchase, of course). We bought another puzzle toy (review here) and a Superman chew toy. We're Batman fans and have no problem with the dog chewing on Superman. Kong sent a $2 coupon as well, so Jedi got some Kong stuffers to keep him occupied in his crate while everybody is at work.

And finally, what's a birthday without cake? I searched the internet for "dog birthday cake recipes" and the same recipe showed up on a dozen different sites. Hmmm . . . So this is what I made. Want the recipe?

Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • More peanut butter for frosting and bacon bits for garnish

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a small cake pan. (I used the silicone mold from Bark Box #4, so no grease!)
  2. Combine egg, peanut butter, honey, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Stir in carrots and mix thoroughly. Sift together flour and baking soda, then fold into carrot mixture. Spoon batter into baking pan.
  3. Bake for 40 minutes. let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.

Jedi and Roxy both liked the cake; Son #2 not so much. (Yes, we all tried it.) The cake is really dense and a little bland for humans. NOTE: Since there are no preservatives it should be consumed soon. Don't be stingy, it's a party!


Happy Birthday Jedi!


 Thanks for joining us on this joyous (albeit silly) occasion. Now it's time to give Jedi what he really wants: quality playtime. I'll catch you all later. -- K
P.S. Below is one of my favorite videos on the internet. Dunder (another beautiful German shepherd) grows up before your eyes. Enjoy!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment